sci.bio.botany

Re: Help identifying a plant

Subject: Re: Help identifying a plant
From: "P van Rijckevorsel"
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:44:55 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany
"mel turner" <mturner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef

http://www.mytho-fleurs.com/images/vivaces/celastrus%20orbiculatus%20fruits.JPG

http://www.tneppc.org/images/Exotics%20Photos/Celastrus%20PA180017%20(RKC).JPG

> Whereas the plant in question here
>
> http://www.user.shentel.net/eddie180/FP/100_0846e.jpg
>
> very clearly has well-separated seeds dangling further out nearer
> the tips of the fruit capsule lobes, as is typical of many Euonymus
> spp.:

***
I would love to say something wise and insightful here, but I can't.
I agree that the fruit details are very important here, but the picture
quality is not adequate. I cannot even agree that there is a clear
separation: from the picture these could also be cases of fruits close
together. All that anybody has to go by here is general habit, and I know
neither of these species.

All right, a final pearl of wisdom: this is the reason that arboreta have
signs with the name of the plant!
PvR