sci.astro

Re: Big Bang's Afterglow Fails an Intergalactic Shadow Test

Subject: Re: Big Bang's Afterglow Fails an Intergalactic Shadow Test
From: Joseph Lazio
Date: 29 Oct 2006 15:54:58 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro

IF> http://www.physorg.com/news76314500.html
IF> ----------------------------------------------
IF> "And the Nobel Prize for Physics, this year should be taken back."

IF> The apparent absence of shadows where shadows were expected to be
IF> is raising new questions about the faint glow of microwave
IF> radiation once hailed as proof that the universe was created by a
IF> "Big Bang." In a finding sure to cause controversy, scientists at
IF> The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) found a lack of
IF> evidence of shadows from "nearby" clusters of galaxies using new,
IF> highly accurate measurements of the cosmic microwave background.
[...]
IF> Other groups have previously reported seeing this type of shadows
IF> in the microwave background. Those studies, however, did not use
IF> data from WMAP, which was designed and built specifically to study
IF> the cosmic microwave background.

What this press release doesn't say is that some of those other groups
have been using telescopes that were built specifically to study the
Sunyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) effect.  It's been a while since I read the
paper, but my recollection is that this group did not explain why
other groups would have obtained discrepant results.

The Lieu et al. effect is interesting, but I think it is a bit early
to be writing an obituary for the cosmic microwave background.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police   | e-mail: jlazio@xxxxxxxxxxx
No means no, stop rape.  | http://patriot.net/%7Ejlazio/