sci.astro

Re: Physicists Howl at Dark Matter

Subject: Re: Physicists Howl at Dark Matter
From: Steve Willner
Date: 12 Sep 2006 14:44:27 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.skeptic
[sci.math, sci.physics.relativity snipped]

In article <v72bg2d907ghe3loa0vceetvhbssemetgn@xxxxxxx>,
 Lester Zick <dontbother@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> The flatness of orbital velocities throughout
> Andromeda is best explained by a disk of uniform density inverse
> square gravitationally attractive matter much as the galaxy appears to
> be in purely visual terms.

In "visual terms," the surface brightness of the M31 disk decreases
exponentially with a scale length of about 5 kpc.  (I'm not surprised
a radio interview failed to make that clear.)

As others have noted, the same pattern of a flat rotation curve but
decreasing mass (for an assumed constant mass-to-light ratio) is
observed in a great many galaxies; it is nothing peculiar to M31.

--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123     swillner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA