sci.astro

Subject: Re: Ballistic Theory and the Sagnac Experiment
From: Henri Wilson
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:11:54 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics.relativity, sci.physics
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:41:28 -0000, "George Dishman" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:37:02 -0000, "George Dishman"
>> <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message

>>>The value "E" is the field at a point at a time.
>>>Think of how you would write a program to illustrate
>>>how the ME work. Take a square of pixels. For each
>>>pixel hold the value of E. Look at each pixel and
>>>it's immediate neighbour, one left and one right.
>>>Fit a quadratic to those three values and twice the
>>>x^2 coefficient gives you d^2E/dx^2. Divide by c^2
>>>and that is d^2E/dt^" for that pixel. You need the
>>>previous value of E as well to get dE/dt but then
>>>you have the value and rates of change at time t.
>>>Using those, calculate the next value and rates at
>>>time t + delta_t, repeat the process for every point
>>>and if you initialise everything with a propagating
>>>sine wave, it will move at speed c across your screen.
>>>The above only deals with x but the same technique
>>>would apply to y and z. More generally you need
>>>to repeat the process for the magnetic component too.

>>>Yes, if you initialise with a combination of two waves
>>>with suitable geometry (plane waves at an angle or
>>>point sources for example) then interference effects
>>>should appear in your results.

>>>To the trained eye, it is clear that waves travelling
>>>at speeds other than c are not a valid solution to the
>>>equations. What is impossible therefore is to use them
>>>to calculate anything in a Ritzian model, you need an
>>>alternative set of equations, which was the point that
>>>started this.
>>
>> George the point that started this ...
>
>No, the point that started this was this commentfrom you:
>
>>>"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message

>What you said is that you don't accept "the idea
>of an absolute aether" but that you can apply
>Maxwell's equations. Now if you have read what I
>said above and thought about how you would program
>it, you should understand you cannot use Maxwell's
>Equations if you think light behaves ballistically.

I can if I assume that Maxwells' equations produce a value for c, which is the
speed of light relative to its source.

>> ... is the plain fact that according to SR, all
>> light in the universe traveling in any particular direction is moving at
>> the
>> same speed.
>> Note, my use of the expression 'same speed' needs no reference
>> object. The value of that speed is also irrelevant.
>> You can see that happening at: www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/gr-aether.exe
>>
>> You you deny that SR makes this 'aetherian' claim?
>
>SR makes one claim (postulate), that the speed is
>independent of the spped of the source. That comes
>directly from Maxwell's Equations as you have seen
>above.

Which, as I have pointed out many times leads to an impossibility unless one
assumes absolute space.
(even if two differently moving observers get the same values for the
constants, it is obvious that a pulse of light cannot travel at the same speed
wrt both)

>>>All of which are incompatible with Maxwell's Equations
>>>since they require speeds other than c. That was my point.
>>
>> Maxwell's equations require a reference for speed.
>
>Look at the equations, they tell you what it is.
>
>> It WAS and still IS, an absolute aether.
>
>Wrong, if aether is moving wrt the x,t coordinates
>used in the equations then a wave moving at c wrt
>the aether is not a valid solution of the equations.
>I know the philosophical views held at the time but
>the equations do not permit it.

That's a strange way to express what you are trying to prove.
The Aether doesn't MOVE. Things move wrt IT.

>>>They don't need to be, it is fundamental to the
>>>equations that they are constants so can be measured
>>>in the lab at varying densities and extrapolated to
>>>a vacuum.
>>
>> All Maxwell produces is a value of the universal constant 'c' anyway.
>
>Right, and all propagating waves must travel at
>that speed if they are to be valid solutions.

Only in a medium.
Otherwise light moves at c wrt its source. What other speed referece does it
have?

>> George, if two differently moving observers measure the constants at the
>> same
>> point (as they pass each other) do they both come up with the same value
>> for
>> 'c'?
>
>They wouldn't be "universal constants" if they didn't.
>
>> If you consider a single pulse of light approaching the two, what does
>> that
>> imply? According to you, both calculate its speed to be c.
>
>That is the only valid solution to the equations, yes.
>
>> <-O1----------------<-p-----------
>> ->O2
>>
>> Your claim is clearly impossible ...
>
>It's not a claim Henry, basic calculus proves it.
>
>http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module3_Maxwell.htm#light
>
>> ... unless the LTs apply and 'v' is absolute.
>
>You can derive the transforms from them. That is exactly
>what Einstein did.

You are using circular logic again. You are assuming the second postulate to
derive transforms that in turn support the second postulate.
This is surely a joke George.

>>>Nope, "in conformity with Maxwell" only permits
>>>movement at c wrt the measuring apparatus as
>>>explained above.
>>
>> ....and as I have explained above, that is clearly impossible
>
>I note your words but you have given no explanation,
>just a repeated assertion. On the other hand the page
>I cited is one of many that derives the speed using
>maths that only allows one solution.

It gives one solution for the constant 'c' but it give no reference for speed.

There is only one solution. Light initially moves at c wrt its source. What
other factors are you claiming for the determination of light speed wrt its
source, George?

>> in the case of
>> two differently moving observers. A single light pulse cannot approach
>> both at
>> 'c'.
>> Can you not see the error you are making?
>
>I can see you are ignoring basic calculus. If you don't
>want to have a single speed for light from differently
>moving sources then you cannot use Maxwell's Equations.
>the choice is yours Henry, you cannot have it both ways.

I cannot use maxwell's method without an aether unless I accept that it merely
provides a value for the constant c, which is also the speed of light wrt its
source.

>>>I agree, but in my attempts I could only
>>>get a minor change. I was trying to use
>>>the pulsar figures I gave elsewhere but
>>>then see what happened as the distance
>>>increased from much less than the critical
>>>value to much more and especially around
>>>that value.
>>
>> Distance and maximum velocity are 'conjugate'.....I think that's the right
>> word. Increasing the distance has exactly the same effect as increasing
>> the
>> velocity.
>> I usually just change the distance until I get the right magnitude change
>> in
>> brightness then fiddle with distance/velocity.
>
>I understand, the critical distance is da/c^2 as
>we discussed some time ago and it's just the ratio
>of the actual distance to that value that matters,
>however when I changed distance from 0.001 light
>years to 3000 light years, the light curve was
>unaffected. That can't be right! I'm sure it's a
>simple bug or maybe there's an "update" button I
>need to press and didn't notice.

It works pefectly well for me. If your distances are well beyond eth critical
one, you wont see much difference ...but the light curve is pretty meaningles
there anyway because it if a sufficient number of orbits were included it would
be flat.

>>>Try modelling the pulsar and see if you can
>>>get sensible results, if so tell me what
>>>numbers to enter into the screens.
>>
>> I will need its distance and frequency.....also its brightness curve
>> shape.
>> Pulsars are not good subjects for my program.
>
>Distance is 3617 light years, orbital period
>1.5 days, circular orbit of diameter 3.8 light
>seconds using conventional analysis. Using Ritz
>the diameter is undefined though probably not
>to significant for the reasons I gave a few days
>ago, but the key element will be the inclination.

Apparently the orbit is edge on.

..but this is a clear case of trying to establish reality for a willusion.

We simply cannot believe any of these readings.

>George

HW.
www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm