sci.astro

Re: Moon-based radiotelescope planned (Forwarded)

Subject: Re: Moon-based radiotelescope planned Forwarded
From: Steve Willner
Date: 22 Mar 2006 16:08:43 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro
In article <WxgF6REWlxFEFwyE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Jonathan Silverlight
 <jsilverlight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> What's the advantage over building it in space, as has already been done
> for Radio Astronomy Explorers and described on a much bigger scale by
> Arthur Clarke in "Imperial Earth"?

That's a good question.  I'd want to see a proper engineering
tradeoff study.  As you say, lunar farside has both advantages and
disadvantages.  A deep crater at the lunar pole is also worth
considering, despite the limitation it would place on sky
visibility.

The answer may depend in part on exactly what question is being
asked.  "Given that we are building a lunar base, do we want to put a
radio telescope there?" may have a different answer than "Given that
we are building a low-frequency radio telescope, what's the most
cost-efficient location for it?"

--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123     swillner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA