sci.astro

Re: Interferometry of a Monotonic Source?

Subject: Re: Interferometry of a Monotonic Source?
From: "W. Watson"
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:31:15 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro
Let me ask some questions about the Java program. It's been quite a while since I thought about Fourier transforms, but I have a reasonable idea of what they are about. I've looked at the documentation and guide. After I formulated the questions below, I happened to glance at the end of the guide, and see there's more documentation. Maybe you can take a shot at these questions, and I'll rummage through the additional documentation. Whoops, a quick survey of those items shows I've got about all there is doc-wise.

The display is divided into four area. Upper left is the image, Upper right is some sort of positional display of antennas. The lower right is uv-coverage. The lower left is the uv components such as the real and imaginary part, phase and magnitude.

It looks like this program is set up to operate for several specific observatories, ATCA, Merlin, etc. Suppose I want to define my own two station observatory. How can that be done?

What is uv coverage? If I play around the controls of that area, I see what look like red dots. They are distributed differently for the obs choice.

What do the buttons in the lower right corner do? Apply, Add, Accumulate and Clear. Blue, red, hide? How about at the upper right? Default and Station Lock.

How does this actually operate? I guess I give it an object like a disk or point, and somehow start an observing session. If it simulates a period of operation (if specifiable), what do I actually end up with?

                "Nature invented space so that everything didn't
                 have to happen at Princeton." -- Martin Rees,
                 Britain's Royal Astronomer, in a lecture at Princeton

                    Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>