sci.astro

Re: Moon-based radiotelescope planned (Forwarded)

Subject: Re: Moon-based radiotelescope planned Forwarded
From: Steve Willner
Date: 23 Mar 2006 17:23:46 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro
In article <dvu5rn$ol4$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Steve, for very low radio frequencies it is possible to make a
> director reflector yagi type dipole in space, but these have rather
> low rejection for signals from 'behind' and sides.

That's a problem, but there are a variety of solutions other than
putting the antennas on the lunar farside.  The best (or cheapest)
solution isn't clear, which is why I mentioned an engineering study.

--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123     swillner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA