sci.astro

Re: The Sun is a Variable Star

Subject: Re: The Sun is a Variable Star
Date: 10 Mar 2006 17:26:40 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro
Steve Willner wrote:
> In article <1141439913.023059.27090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  dlham@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> > The reoccuring glacial periods are strong evidence that our sun is a
> > variable star that expands and contracts in fairly regular cycles.
>
> Why do you reject the explanations that are usually given for the ice
> ages?

The sun's variability could be another viable explanation for the
reoccuring ice ages.

> What is the mechanism causing this supposed solar variability?

I have my own explanation for that but the mechanism is probably the
same as other variable stars.

> > The global warming we are now experiencing is part of a major natural
> > cycle of variation in the sun's radiant energy that warms the planet, a
> > natural phase of the sun's cycle of expansion and contractions.
>
> Why haven't solar radiometers measured any secular change in solar
> output?

The periods are extemely long, for example: Geologists estimate the
period between the height of the Nebraskan glacial age and the Kansan
glacial age was 300 thousand years with a  warm interglacial period of
200 thousand years in between. The variation is extemely slow - so the
solar radiometers would have to measure solar output for a very long
time before it would get any real readings. These readings would also
have to take into consideration the aberations of solar output that
caused the "little ice age" and the 11 year cycles of solar spot
activity.

Don Hamilton
http://novan.com