sci.astro

Re: The Sun is a Variable Star

Subject: Re: The Sun is a Variable Star
From: Steve Willner
Date: 8 Mar 2006 13:20:37 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro
In article <1141439913.023059.27090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 dlham@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> The reoccuring glacial periods are strong evidence that our sun is a
> variable star that expands and contracts in fairly regular cycles.

Why do you reject the explanations that are usually given for the ice
ages?

What is the mechanism causing this supposed solar variability?

> The global warming we are now experiencing is part of a major natural
> cycle of variation in the sun's radiant energy that warms the planet, a
> natural phase of the sun's cycle of expansion and contractions.

Why haven't solar radiometers measured any secular change in solar
output?

--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123     swillner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA