sci.astro

Re: Operating VRI (Radio Interferometry)

Subject: Re: Operating VRI Radio Interferometry
From: "W. Watson"
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:07:56 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro
George Dishman wrote:

"W. Watson" <wolf_tracks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:kdXSf.4492$x94.2623@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George Dishman wrote:

p.s. I'm using Sun Java 2 latest version:

www.java.com

Thanks. Working today. One of those web mysteries.

... Maybe I need Java 2. How do I tell what my Mozilla browser is using for Java?

The link above has a bright orange "Download Now"
button. To the right of that, not very obvious,
there is a "verify Installation" link.

George

I updated my Java by going to <http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp>, and then started into Dan's suggestions using the site <http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/vri/>. Again, I couldn't get rid of the Merlin antennas by using Custom. Even selecting Double Wide gave nothing. I think that site is generally inoperable.

Finally, I went to the Austrlian site. I put five antennas in a row separated by about 1000km. I couldn't get the sliders anywhere near +/- 12 hrs of HA. The range must be dependent upon some factor I'm not aware of.

I'm going to contact Mark at the Aus. site and see if he's got any suggestions. My other msg to him is still unanswered.

                "Nature invented space so that everything didn't
                 have to happen at Princeton." -- Martin Rees,
                 Britain's Royal Astronomer, in a lecture at Princeton

                    Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>