sci.astro

Subject: Re: Ballistic Theory and the Sagnac Experiment
From: "George Dishman"
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 12:43:14 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics.relativity, sci.physics
"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message
news:085b225rb1jl8nuedj4fbba3h15lbedcjp@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:04:39 -0000, "George Dishman"
> <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>>"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message

>>> Yes. It doesn't go offscale.
>>> The size is not importanrt. It is the shape and phase that matter here.
>>
>>The size is crucial, you adjust the orbital
>>parameters until it matches the measured
>>values within the error bars and then see
>>what brightness curve is predicted.
>
> I'm only interested in the shape and phase. The maximum peripheral speed
> is set
> in a combo box.

Peripheral speed (and other orbital parameters)
can be adjustable but it will affect both the
shape and magnitude of both the radial Doppler
and photometry curves. You only have a fit if
all four factors match within the error bars
and if the phase matches. Phase isn't always
available from the observations though.

However, the program still isn't working. I ran
with the defaults and then just increased the
peripheral speed by a factor of 100. These are
the results:

http://www.georgedishman.f2s.com/Henri/variables_broken.png

The light curve changes to show the multiple
spikes as the distance is now beyond critical
but the blue curve is unchanged, it should
also have spikes and overlaps as shown by
Sekerin's colleague, Serbulenko:

http://www.datasync.com/~rsf1/sekerin.htm

See Figure 3. Changing the viewing distance
also has no visible effect.

>>> Extinction in remote space is something we can only speculate about at
>>> this
>>> stage.
>>
>>You may wish to hide behind your incompetence
>>but others do not:
>>
>>http://www.datasync.com/~rsf1/binarie4.htm
>>
>>I think you're just too lazy to do the work.
>
> I haven't noticed you producing ANY useful work.

You are forgetting I gave you the approximation
for the Doppler when beyond the critical distance
which I suspect you haven't even got round to
putting into your program yet. If you intend to
use it around or below the critical distance, you
need to combine that with the velocity term which
predominates below critical.

> In fact I haven't noticed any Einstein supporter coming up with anything
> useful
> here.

For something to be useful, you have to make the
effort to use it.

George