sci.astro

Re: Editor's question--altitude/elevation

Subject: Re: Editor's question--altitude/elevation
From: Steve Willner
Date: 3 Mar 2006 15:54:39 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro
In article <44039966.6070102@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Bill Owen <wmo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> The angle is correctly termed "altitude", and the distance above sea
> level is the "elevation".

> I suspect that "elevation" came to be used for the angle in much the
> same way that "range" supplanted "distance" or "prograde" supplanted
> "direct" -- the original aerospace engineers of the 1950s weren't
> familiar with existing astronomical terminology and invented their own.

I'm wondering whether the military uses the opposite convention.  The
height an airplane flys at is "altitude" (distance), while artillery
aiming uses "elevation" (angle) in some sources I've seen.  Any
artillery vets reading this?

--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123     swillner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA