sci.astro

Re: Einstein's Theory 'Improved'? (Forwarded)

Subject: Re: Einstein's Theory 'Improved'? Forwarded
From: Joseph Lazio
Date: 01 Mar 2006 18:41:05 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro

JS> BTW, I'm a biologist and the free e-print phenomenon hasn't really
JS> hit the life science journals yet. How do physics journals
JS> survive?

I think through a variety of factors.  At least some of the
astronomical journals charge "page charges," i.e., ask the authors to
cover part of the cost of publishing in the journal.  In some cases
professional societies also subsidize, at least partially, journals
that they own or publish.  One thing many astronomical journals do not
do is take advertising.  It is still a bit jarring to me to pick up
journals in other fields that are filled with advertisements.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police   | e-mail: jlazio@xxxxxxxxxxx
No means no, stop rape.  | http://patriot.net/%7Ejlazio/