sci.astro

Re: Question about inflation theory

Subject: Re: Question about inflation theory
From: "George"
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:15:53 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro
"CeeBee" <ceebeechester@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Xns978B9FF8B7D14ceebeechesterstartco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "George" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in sci.astro:
>
>> According to Einstein nothing can travel faster than the
>> speed of light.  If that is true, how is it that the universe expanded
>> from the size of a marble to something large than the visible universe
>> in a trillionth of a second?
>
> The misunderstanding is that space itself expands. Everything inside the
> universe seems to be bound to the lightspeed as a maximum, but "the
> universe" itself (space) isn't bound by speed restrictions predicted by
> theory. After all, according to what reference would you measure the
> "speed" of space when it is expanding?
>
> --
> CeeBee
>
> *** The Cookie Has Spoken ***

Honestly?  I don't know the answer to that question.  But it seems to me
that if the universe, and everything in it (including all its laws and
dimensions) originated from this one marble-sized point, and that this
point expanded to something larger than the universe in a trillionth of a
second, then space (one of the dimensions of the universe) had to have
originated from this one marble-sized point, and must have, by necessity,
expanded.  If not, then the assumption would be that space has always been
here, that it preceeded the big bang.  In addition, if it expanded into
something that was larger than the universe itself, is there also an
assumption that it has contracted since then to the size it is today?  And
if so, how does that square with the idea that the universe has been
expanding since the big bang?  I'm still confused.

George