sci.astro

Subject: Re: Ballistic Theory and the Sagnac Experiment
From: "Jeff Root"
Date: 25 Mar 2006 07:41:24 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics.relativity, sci.physics
George Dishman replied to Henri Wilson:

>> But I have never claimed that this is the major contributor
>> to the sagnac effect. For one thing, I have shown that two
>> beams leaving the splitting mirror 45 apart do not recombine
>> at the one point.
>
> And I have pointed out many times that that has
> no effect on the time difference whatsoever.

Am I correct in understanding that the extremely tiny
offset of the two lines in Henry's program is due to a
trivially minor rounding error in the calculations?
Probably caused by measuring a distance in pixels?

> The simple way is to move the loop along one arm and
> measure the slope of the phase difference as a function
> of distance.

I think Henry doesn't realize how easy your version of
the experiment is.  Moving the loop is trivial.  I think
two people working together-- Henry and an assistant--
could put the whole thing together, get the measurements,
and take it down inside of eight hours.

Do you agree, or have I missed something?

  -- Jeff, in Minneapolis