sci.astro

Re: Moonquakes

Subject: Re: Moonquakes
From: Steve Willner
Date: 22 Mar 2006 16:27:58 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro, alt.sci.planetary
In article <gDnSf.827359$x96.209786@attbi_s72>,
 "George" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> If the earth impact theory of lunar formation is correct, much of the SiO2
> could have originally formed during the creation of the solar
> system...

I don't disagree with most of what you wrote, but I'd quibble with
the above.  As far as I can tell, most SiO2 in the solar system was
probably created well before the solar system formed.  Gas densities
in protostellar disks don't seem to get high enough for dust
condensation, unless there's recent work I'm not aware of.

If you are suggesting that pre-existing dust particles were converted
to SiO2 during solar system formation, I withdraw the quibble but
would like details.

--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123     swillner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA