sci.astro

Re: Question about inflation theory

Subject: Re: Question about inflation theory
From: "George"
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:22:18 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro
"George Dishman" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dvke18$gli$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "George" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Recently, new results were released from NASA's Wilkinson Microwave
>> Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) satellite, launched in 2001 to measure the
>> temperature of radiant heat left over from the Big Bang, which is the
>> theoretical beginning to the universe.  The new WMAP observations,
>> announced at a NASA press conference today, reveal what the universe was
>> like in the first trillionth of a second after the Big Bang. From the
>> microwave background, researchers teased out a new signal called the
>> "polarization signal."  According to the conclusions of this report,
>> during this growth spurt, a tiny region, likely no larger than a marble,
>> grew in a trillionth of a second to become larger than the visible
>> universe.  Well, I'm confused.  According to Einstein nothing can travel
>> faster than the speed of light.  If that is true, how is it that the
>> universe expanded from the size of a marble to something large than the
>> visible universe in a trillionth of a second?
>
> Releativity says an object cannot travel through
> space faster than the speed of light in vacuo,
> but that doesn't stop the sapce between objects
> expanding at a rate such that the distance between
> them increases faster than that speed.
>
>> I'm neither an astrophysicist nor a physicist, which is why I'm asking
>> this question here.  And please be kind, as my calculus is a little
>> rusty these days.  Any thoughts?
>
> This is probably the best introduction to the
> subject around:
>
> http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm
>
> HTH
> George (D)

Thanks for the link.  I'll save it in my favorites, and read it later when
I have more time.  If what you say is true, then doesn't the concept of the
space between objects expanding faster than the speed of light lead
logically to faster than light travel?  And if so, how is that
accomplished?

George