sci.astro

Re: Cluster and Double Star witness a new facet of Earth's magnetic beha

Subject: Re: Cluster and Double Star witness a new facet of Earth's magnetic behaviour Forwarded
Date: 30 Mar 2006 14:15:22 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro
> Shortly after 15:34 CEST [1334 UTC], something set the tail of Earth's
> natural cloak of magnetism oscillating. "It was like the waves created
> by a boat travelling across a lake," says Dr Tielong Zhang of the
> Austrian Academy of Sciences, Graz.

The animation they released is about the most retarded thing I've
ever seen, with a Great White Hole rising up out of the 4th dimension
and generating a preposterous olympic swimming pool in space,
with waves propagating out from the middle of its length...

Since there _are_ apparently waves propagating out from the middle
of the magnetotail, they could at least have drawn it tapering at the
Earth-end, rather than appearing out of nothing as a square edge much
wider than the planet that generates it.

But why bother with Moby Dick, at all?

If all you need is a field flapping, why not draw it as an inherent
flapping in the magnetotail, that strengthens and weakens but
always normally originates from the center line?  Couldn't the
mysterious cause just be a fortuitous resonance that temporarily
amplified the flapping instead of damping it?