sci.astro

Re: infinite universe

Subject: Re: infinite universe
From: Bernhard Kuemel
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:21:22 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics
Bernhard Kuemel wrote:

>>(or ring) with 0 volume. I find it hard to imagine that a 0 volume
>>can instantly explode to an infinite volume. Is this actually
>>possible? Hmm, if the singularity contained infinite matter and then
>
> Wouldn't most of the matter need to travel FTL for this?

IMHO, actually all of it would have to travel FTL if the transition
0 volume to infinite (or even finite) volume happened instantly (0
s). But much less can I imagine the transition to infinite volume
happen in finite time - with a period of finite volume in between.
So for an infinite universe the volume of the singularity must be
infinite in the first place which is probably impossible. So maybe
there was no singularity at all. Or some weird kind of coordinate
sytem transformation must occur.