sci.astro

Re: Hubble pinpoints red supergiant that exploded (Forwarded)

Subject: Re: Hubble pinpoints red supergiant that exploded Forwarded
From: Jonathan Silverlight
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:25:43 +0000
Newsgroups: sci.astro
In message <llu0acg1z2.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joseph Lazio <jlazio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
"JS" == Jonathan Silverlight <jsilverlight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hubble pinpoints red supergiant that exploded

JS> Does anyone know what changes occur in such a star before it
JS> explodes?

Depends in how much detail you want to know. :)

You might want to take a look at Heger et al. (<URL:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2003ApJ...591..288H
), which describes some of these issues and has references as well.
(Note that there is both a journal article and an astro-ph e-print.)

JS> For instance, how much notice will we get that Betelgeuse is about
JS> to explode?  Is it changing now?? :-)

For Betelgeuse in particular, a quick search of the astronomy
literature finds little discussing its possible future evolution.
There's an abstract by Mathews et al. (<URL:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1998AAS...192.6703M
), but I find no indication that this work was ever published in any
more detail.

That's going back a while :-) Thanks Dr. Lazio.
It occurs to me that Betelgeuse is well placed now, and would probably be visible in daylight if it exploded, but could we have missed a supernova a few degrees from the Sun in the past?
Today it would be seen by SOHO and many other satellites.