sci.astro

Subject: Re: Ballistic Theory and the Sagnac Experiment
From: Henri Wilson
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:35:29 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics.relativity, sci.physics
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:38:55 -0000, "George Dishman" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>>Again you make the same mistake, we can assume they
>>>are constant but that does not imply they are
>>>invariant. You need to learn the difference.
>>
>> No...you need to learn that the universe functioned perfectly well long
>> before
>> observers evolved.
>
>Prior to baryogenesis? I wouldn't like to
>comment, but after that every particle that
>aborbed a photon was "an observer".

I understand your point...but what I'm saying is that there is a physical
universe that doesn't rely on observers at all. Observers only 'interpret' what
they observe.

>>>Of course they wouldn't be as long as they
>>>conflict with your philosophical beliefs.
>>>All the key experiments have been repeated
>>>many, many times and always with the same
>>>results despite the ever-evolving technology
>>>used.
>>
>> The only ones that have any credibility at all are those involving
>> particle
>> accelerators.
>
>MMX, Ives-Stilwell, Sagnac, all have been
>repeated and checked, their results are
>credible beyond doubt.

and they all support the BaTh.

>> I and others have given numerous and perfectly sound alternative
>> explanations
>> for the so called relativistic 'mass increase'.
>
>Mass is invariant.

Mass doesn't vary with velocity....nor does rod length or the rate of a clock.

>>>You are making the philosophical assumption that
>>>there is such a thing as absolute time Henry, you
>>>asume what you want to prove.
>>
>> universal rather than absolute.
>
>Whatever you want to call it ...
>
>> NOW here is NOW everywhere at that universal instant.
>
>... it's the same old Newtonian philosophy.

>>>The method has been checked by thousands
>>>of experiments by different people over
>>>the course of a century and more, it is
>>>inconceivable that they all made matching
>>>errors in simple measurements. In science
>>>we don't discard measurements just because
>>>they conflict with philosophy, we change
>>>the philosophy to make sense of the
>>>measurements.
>>
>> What are these 'thouands of experiments' George?
>
>Estimate how many students world-wide in a
>year repeat say the Ives-Stilwell experiment
>as part of their courses and then work out
>how many that is over the last century. Of
>course I can't give an exact figure but it's
>enough to be sure the results are repeatable.

This type of experiment is full of assumtions and uncertainties.
You might belioeve it but I certainly would be looking for alternative
explanations.

>George

HW.
www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm