sci.astro

Re: Question about inflation theory

Subject: Re: Question about inflation theory
From: "Thomas Smid"
Date: 26 Mar 2006 03:32:11 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro
Greg Hennessy wrote:
> On 2006-03-25, Thomas Smid <thomas.smid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I had also a closer look now at the new polarization data as given in
> > http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_mm/pub_papers/polarization/wmap_3yr_pol.pdf
> > ,and this confirms in my opinion that one is merely looking at the
> > effect of statistical errors here: with the relative apparent intensity
> > (temperature) fluctuations of the CMB being of the order of 10^-4, one
> > would expect the polarization due to a statistical error be a further
> > factor sqrt(10^-4)=10^-2 smaller,
>
> I would not expect that. The CMB polarization is not due to
> statistical error, but the percentage polarization of the CMBR is
> about 7 percent.

Where did you get the 7% figure from?

Looking at the 4 data points (green) for the polarization spectrum in
http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/current/map_images/grandspectrum512.png
and comparing these to the intensity spectrum (black data points at the
top) for the same l-value, I get the following ratios (going from left
to right):
0.4/40=1%    (taking the top of the error bar),
0.3/30=1%    (taking the top of the error bar),
0.4/40=1%    (taking the middle of the error bar),
1/80=1.25%   (taking the bottom of the error bar).

Thomas