sci.astro

Re: Editor's question--altitude/elevation

Subject: Re: Editor's question--altitude/elevation
From: Bill Owen
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 10:30:30 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro
Axel Harvey wrote:
Jeff Root wrote:

Horizons almost certainly uses "elevation" because the Jet
Propulsion Laboratory used it in connection with aircraft.

Does JPL still mess with jet engines?

Well, we do have one section named "Propulsion & Materials
Engineering."

Could you post a list of specific citations?
Alternatively, would you like me to attempt to generate
such a list?  I'm interested, but I'm not sure my interest
is as strong as yours.

Whew - you want Usenet to be like real work! I wont cite
texts and page numbers, but the following use "altitude"
to mean 90° minus zenith distance (along with many
other sources not handy at this time and place):

Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomical Almanac, 1992
Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomical Ephemeris, 1961
Green, Spherical Astronomy, 1985
Smart, Text-Book on Spherical Astronomy, 1931 (1971)
American Practical Navigator ("Bowditch"), 1966
Admiralty Manual of Navigation, 1960
Admiralty Manual of Navigation, 1914

Hope this helps, as they say.

Add to the list: Mitton, Cambridge Dictionary of Astronomy, 2001

-- Bill Owen