sci.astro

Re: Editor's question--altitude/elevation

Subject: Re: Editor's question--altitude/elevation
From: "Axel Harvey"
Date: 8 Mar 2006 09:56:17 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro
Jeff Root wrote:

> Horizons almost certainly uses "elevation" because the Jet
> Propulsion Laboratory used it in connection with aircraft.

Does JPL still mess with jet engines?

> Could you post a list of specific citations?
> Alternatively, would you like me to attempt to generate
> such a list?  I'm interested, but I'm not sure my interest
> is as strong as yours.

Whew - you want Usenet to be like real work! I wont cite
texts and page numbers, but the following use "altitude"
to mean 90° minus zenith distance (along with many
other sources not handy at this time and place):

Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomical Almanac, 1992
Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomical Ephemeris, 1961
Green, Spherical Astronomy, 1985
Smart, Text-Book on Spherical Astronomy, 1931 (1971)
American Practical Navigator ("Bowditch"), 1966
Admiralty Manual of Navigation, 1960
Admiralty Manual of Navigation, 1914

Hope this helps, as they say.