sci.astro

Re: Lunar Calendar & Alamanac Seasons

Subject: Re: Lunar Calendar & Alamanac Seasons
From: Paul Schlyter
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:43:20 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro, alt.astronomy, alt.agriculture.misc, alt.folklore.science, talk.environment, soc.culture.jewish
In article <dvl846$35n$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 <vjp2.at@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am told the predictive power of the Farmer's Almanac lies in its
> use of the lunar calendar. As an Orthodox Christian I have observed
> that whenever we have Easter (our Good Friday must always fall just
> after Passover) late, winter is also late (coming & going).

That strongly disagrees with my experience.  At some late Easters in
the middle of April I could still skate on natural ices on lakes,
while at other late Easters around the same date I've been able to
take my first swim outdoors for the season.  Those Easter swims would
not have happened if, as you claim, winter would always be late when
Easter is late.

The weather is not noticeably related to when we choose to celebrate
Easter, or to the lunar phases.  THere's plenty of weather statistics
supporting that.

Paul Schlyter,  Grev Turegatan 40,  SE-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW:     http://stjarnhimlen.se/