sci.astro

Re: Moon-based radiotelescope planned (Forwarded)

Subject: Re: Moon-based radiotelescope planned Forwarded
From: Jan Panteltje
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:55:16 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro
On a sunny day (22 Mar 2006 16:08:43 -0500) it happened
willner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Willner) wrote in
<4421bcdb$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>The answer may depend in part on exactly what question is being
>asked.  "Given that we are building a lunar base, do we want to put a
>radio telescope there?" may have a different answer than "Given that
>we are building a low-frequency radio telescope, what's the most
>cost-efficient location for it?"
Steve, for very low radio frequencies it is possible to make a
director reflector yagi type dipole in space, but these have rather
low rejection for signals from 'behind' and sides.
Good selectivity in you receiver will not fix that, as earth interference
is on the same frequency.
Sure I have mentioned in 'How to find your way back to earth from anywhere in
the solar systems' posting: just use a short wave radio and turn the antenna
towards the point of maximum noise [that is where earth is].
You will really need a full planet shielding you, and luckily the moon has no
atmosphere with reflecting layers, else it would still fail.....

So I think US moon program is more 'enabling' technology, there is no real
alternative of the same quality I know about.