sci.astro

Re: New technique provides the first full view of the far side of the su

Subject: Re: New technique provides the first full view of the far side of the sun Forwarded
From: John C. Polasek
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 02:52:43 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:18:23 -0000, "George Dishman"
<george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"John C. Polasek" <jpolasek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:11:53 -0500, Andrew Yee
>> <ayee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>News Service
>>>Stanford University
>>>Stanford, California
>>>
>>>Contact:
>>>Mark Shwartz, News Service
>>>(650) 723-9296
>>>
>>>Comment:
>>>Phil Scherrer, Department of Physics
>>>(650) 723-1504
>>>
>>>March 13, 2006
>>>
>>>New technique provides the first full view of the far side of the sun
>>>By Mark Shwartz
>>>
>>>The hidden face of the sun is fully visible for the first time, thanks
>>>to a new technique developed at Stanford University.
>>>
>>>Only half of the sun -- the near side -- is directly observable. The far
>>>side always faces away from Earth and is therefore out of view.
>> SNIP
>>
>> You realize this requires the Sun to rotate once a year to keep the
>> same face toward us. It's keeping up with us.
>> It doesn't do this for Mars or Jupiter. How can we be so favored? It
>> sounds, well, wrong.
>
>I wondered if anyone would be thrown by
>that. It would have been clearer if they
>had added "at any one time".

No George. I think you're giving them a free pass. This is a direct
snip: "The far side always faces away from Earth and is therefore out
of view".
and " the first full view of the far side of the sun". I think it
demands at least an apology.
John P
>>>Relevant Web URLs:
>>>
>>>* Stanford Solar Center
>>>   http://solar-center.stanford.edu/
>>>* Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)
>>>   http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/
>
>George

John Polasek