sci.astro

Re: water on saturn's moon

Subject: Re: water on saturn's moon
From: Steve Willner
Date: 14 Mar 2006 13:00:42 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro
In article <12264-4412A0DA-631@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 mikestraton@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> I know this is probably a very dumb question for all you leaned people,
> but how do they know it is water coming from those geysers, and not
> something else like liquid nitrogen or something else?

Nope, it's a fine question.  I wish the press releases had explained
better.  As far as I can tell, all the articles are in the March 10
issue of _Science_.  From just a quick glance, I gather Cassini had
both UV spectroscopy and mass spectrometry to identify the water.

If there's a real expert around, how about commenting further?

--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123     swillner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA