sci.astro

Re: Moonquakes

Subject: Re: Moonquakes
From: "al"
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:43:57 -0000
Newsgroups: sci.astro, alt.sci.planetary, sci.geo.earthquakes
"George" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:2v1Sf.620540$084.527204@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> <baalke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:1142457569.172531.115680@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/15mar_moonquakes.htm
> >
> > Moonquakes
> > NASA Science News
> > March 15, 2006

The moon, however, is dry, cool and mostly rigid, like a chunk of stone
or iron. So moonquakes set it vibrating like a tuning fork. Even if a
moonquake isn't intense, "it just keeps going and going," Neal says.

I thought that the density of the moon was less than the Earth? Like iron?
How can he tell that the moon is dry subsurface?
This brings us back to the deep hole drilling - the running water was a
surprise. If we don't know what's under our feet how can we know what's
beneath the moon's surface? Conjecture.
al