Subject: Re: Ballistic Theory and the Sagnac Experiment
From: Odysseus
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 01:11:05 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics.relativity, sci.physics
George Dishman wrote:
> Hexenmeister wrote:

> > "The time it takes for a signal - which moves at the speed of light through
> > space - to travel from the spacecraft to Earth. From Saturn, one-way light
> > time can range from about one hour and 14 minutes to one hour and 24
> > minutes. "
> The Earth's orbit is about 10 light minutes across.

Closer to 17 in fact, almost exactly one kilo-light-second. The
quoted times are a fair match to Saturn's perihelion and aphelion
distances[1] respectively; the article doesn't appear to be
considering the Earth's orbit at all. The true range must be more
like 1:07 to 1:32.

1. According to NASA's fact-sheet at

from which I get Sun-Saturn light-distances of 1:15:09 and 1:24:09.