sci.astro

Re: infinite universe

Subject: Re: infinite universe
Date: 2 Mar 2006 19:16:55 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics
>      Our Universe Has a Topology Scale of at least 24 GPC
>
>        Our universe has a topology scale of at least 24 Gpc, or
>        about 75 billion light years, according to a new analysis
>        of data from the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy
>        Probe (WMAP).

And how many orders of magnitude is that ? Probably within about 15
orders from 1 / (h-bar) , ya think ?

> Well, yes.  It is difficult to imagine how one could demonstrate
> observationally that the Universe is infinite.  The best that one
> could do is show that its size was not smaller than some amount.

Quite. Particularly so when empiricism dictates that observability =
measureability, either directly or indirectly.

It is very difficult imagining how one would actually "measure"
something either infinitely long, or infinitessimally short. Almost
certainly impossible.

Even if you had a nice Peano curve sitting in your lab, how do you
actually "measure" that length ?

> Having said that, if one thinks that general relativity is the correct
> theory of gravity, the current observational data are consistent with
> a prediction from GR that the Universe is infinite in spatial extent.

I disagree precisely 1/2. Observability of length is restricted. The
universe may be infinite and open in an absolute sense, but what we
experience is finite and closed. All the experimental evidence tends to
point toward a finite universe, yet this could be due to a purely
observability/measureability restriction.

It is finite, and also infinite, simultaneously.

Now everybody's happy.