sci.astro

Subject: Re: Ballistic Theory and the Sagnac Experiment
From: "George Dishman"
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:49:08 -0000
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics.relativity, sci.physics
"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message
news:r6f902hl0e8spgueahfvrmms7figfcrmp9@xxxxxxxxxx
> On 28 Feb 2006 01:49:05 -0800, "George Dishman" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>Henri Wilson wrote:
>>> On 27 Feb 2006 05:17:33 -0800, "George Dishman"
>>> <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Let's settle on the same configution before we go any further.
>>
>>I think that's a good idea. Comparing your
>>scenarios (1) and (3) would be simplest:
>>
>>> 1) the gunner remains fixed.
>>> 3) he moves forward between shots but stops momentarily to shoot.
>>
>>The energy imparted depends on the muzzle
>>speed only so is the same for both as is
>>the penetration into the target (to keep Jim
>>happy).
>>
>>The time when any bullet hits the target is the
>>time when it was fired plus the distance from
>>the location where it was fired to the target
>>divided by the muzzle speed.
>>
>>Hit rates are the inverse of times between
>>events.
>>
>>The time between hits is simply the time
>>between firings minus the reduction in travel
>>time from one bullet to the next. That in turn
>>is the distance he moves between shots in
>>case (3) divided by the muzzle speed.
>>
>>I know there are other ways to do this (using
>>"wavelength" for instance) but can you see
>>any error in what I have said?
>
> Probably not...but it is much easier to simply accept that the distance
> between
> bullets is less in 3) than in 1).

Why change time to wavelength only to change
it back to times? I don't think it is easier
but YMMV. However, that's beside the point,
what I was pointing out to Jim was what you
say next:

> It is reduced by the distance the gunner
> moves between shots.

The cause of the changed rate is that "the
gunner moves between shots.".

> In the target frame, bullet energy and speed is the same in both instances

Exactly, but Jim says the reason for the
increased rate is the increased energy. In
this counter-example the energy has not been
increased, that's what I am trying to get Jim
to think about.

> .... but
> arrival rate is higher in 3) than  in 1) because of the shorter
> 'wavelength'.

No, it is higher because "the gunner moves
between shots.". The distance between the
rounds in flight is another effect, not the
cause.

George