sci.astro

Re: Embryonic star.

Subject: Re: Embryonic star.
From: Joseph Lazio
Date: 05 Mar 2006 13:55:27 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro
>>>>> "d" == darthpup  <amchitka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

d> What is current theory regarding the initial embryonic accretion of
d> solar core?

Generally, all stars are thought to have formed within a large cloud
of gas and dust known as a molecular cloud.  As the molecular cloud
condenses, portions of it fragment into smaller regions that then
collapse to form stars.

Low-mass stars like the Sun may form in regions in which high-mass
stars form (like in Orion) or in low-mass star forming regions (like
one in Taurus).  For the Sun itself, I understand that there is still
some lingering uncertainty as to where it is likely to have formed.
For some time, the presence of certain isotopes in the solar system
were thought to have indicated that the Sun formed in a high-mass star
forming region.  These isotopes were thought to have been produced
only in supernovae, so only near a high-mass star forming region could
the Sun have been exposed to a supernova during its formation.  More
recently, whether those isotopes really need to have been formed in a
supernova has been questioned.

It's not my area, but I think the majority of the opinion would favor
a high-mass star forming region, but perhaps not an overwhelmingly
large majority.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police   | e-mail: jlazio@xxxxxxxxxxx
No means no, stop rape.  | http://patriot.net/%7Ejlazio/