sci.astro

Re: Moon-based radiotelescope planned (Forwarded)

Subject: Re: Moon-based radiotelescope planned Forwarded
From: Jan Panteltje
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:06:20 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro
On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:28:22 +0000) it happened Jonathan
Silverlight <jsilverlight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
<WxgF6REWlxFEFwyE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>sn't that actually a bad thing? Apart from the need to provide power
>during a 14-earth-day night you have thermal cycling twice every day.
>You also need communications, though I suppose that's covered by the
>rest of the LIFE programme.
>What's the advantage over building it in space, as has already been done
>for Radio Astronomy Explorers and described on a much bigger scale by
>Arthur Clarke in "Imperial Earth"?

The advantage is the moon as screen behind it for low frequency RFI.
Also it can be nicely combined with US moon plans perhaps.
Sort of a new ISS, now IRS International Radiotelecope Station?
Ooops you already have IRS :-)
Maybe IRTS