sci.astro

Subject: Re: Ballistic Theory and the Sagnac Experiment
From: Henri Wilson
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:08:22 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics.relativity, sci.physics
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:45:09 -0000, "George Dishman" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:53:55 -0000, "George Dishman"
>> <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message

>>>I don't have time to write any more tonight
>>>but I found part of the problem, low values
>>>of eccentricity cause the blue curve to blow
>>>up. Try using 0.1 then 0.01 then 0.001 and
>>>you should see what I mean. The graph vanishes
>>>for zero. I used an orbital period of 0.0041
>>>years (1.5 days) but I don't think it matters
>>>much.
>>
>> Why do you want to use such small eccentricities?
>
>The measured value is 2*10^-7. That means the
>Doppler shift is almost a perfect sine wave
>which I'm fairly sure implies a circular orbit
>in Ritz as well. It's only a starting point
>though, the idea is to tweak the values to see
>if Ritz can match the observations.

there is very little diference between e=0 and e=0.05

>> It does go crazy for some
>> reason but there is very little difference between the curves of e=0.0 and
>> 0.06
>> and you shouldn't try to use them. The program uses a very complex
>> empirical
>> method to derive the ellipses. I didn't realize it failed at these low
>> eccentricities but don't worry about it. I'll look into the problem.
>
>It is symptomatic of an error in your coding so
>all the curves become suspect, I'll wait until
>you debug it before trying again.

I've fixed the simplified program. There was a '1/e' term. I made it a
1/(e+0.1) which doesn't matter because the height scale is arbitrary anyway.
Il fix the other program soon.

>>>The program crashes if the number of orbits
>>>is >25. For the pulsar we need to use at least
>>>1200, probably more.
>>
>> That would take days to process even on the fastest computers.
>> You are trying to achieve the near impossible.
>
>Nah, it should be possible to solve it analytically
>and do it in a fraction of a second on-line.

Processing time is directly proportional to the number of orbits used.

>George

HW.
www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm