sci.astro

Re: The Sun is a Variable Star

Subject: Re: The Sun is a Variable Star
Date: 3 Mar 2006 23:46:39 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro
dlham@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The reoccuring glacial periods are strong evidence that our sun is a
> variable star that expands and contracts in fairly regular cycles.
>
> The enviromentalists are blaming the present warming phenomenon on the
> emission of greenhouse gases caused by automobile and industrial
> emissions. British Prime Minister Tony Blair recently said "global
> warming is advancing at an unsustainable rate".
>
> Blaming greenhouse gases may be true to a limited extent and should be
> taken into consideration but the major glacial cycles that have been
> going on long before mankind came on the scene are the overwhelming
> cause of the present global warming phenomenon.
>
> The global warming we are now experiencing is part of a major natural
> cycle of variation in the sun's radiant energy that warms the planet, a
> natural phase of the sun's cycle of expansion and contractions.
>
> These periodical expansions and contractions of the sun are the cause
> of the major glacial and interglacial periods that geologists have
> determined, happened with remarkable regularity over the past million
> years and probably throughout much of the life of the planet.
>
> These reoccuring glacial periods are strong evidence that our sun is a
> variable star that expands and contracts in fairly regular cycles,
> although at a very attenuated pace. This causes the solar energy,
> warming the planet, to vary over long periods of time.
>
> If you could have measured the sun's disk at the height of a glacial
> age it would have been slightly smaller and therefore the amount of
> solar energy warming the planet would have been less. The whole planet
> would have been slightly cooler. It doesn't take much to change the
> Earth's climate drastically.
>
> The major "Nebraskan" glacial age, that occured about a million years
> ago, was followed by a warm interglacial age that lasted well over
> 100,000 years. This was followed by the "Kansan" glacial age followed
> by another long warm interglacial age that lasted about 300,000 years
> which was followed by the "Illinoian" glacial age.
>
> At the present time the planet seems to still be coming out of the
> latest "Wisconsin" glacial age into another stable warm interglacial
> age that may last for 100,00 years or more.
>
> How long this present global warming phase will last is anyone's guess.
> It may be nearly over or it may go on for some time yet. What ever it
> is, as the warming trend levels off and merges with the interglacial
> period that follows, if it is anything like the previous major glacial
> cycles, will last for at least thousand centuries. A thousand centuries
> of warm mild climate, now if only mankind can last through this
> century.
>
> Don Hamilton, author of "The Mind of Mankind: Human Imagination, the
> source of Mankind's tremendous power!
>
> http://novan.com/

In highscool geography, we were taught that the rows of separated low
ranges
parallel to the coast in the South East of South Australia, were the
result of
rapid systematic changes of sea level (I think) about 20,000 years
apart.
Maybe the variable nature of the sun's emissions is much shorter than
you imagine
(at least on relatively small scales)

Jim G
c'=c+v