sci.astro

Re: Scientist says neutron stars, not black holes, at center of galaxies

Subject: Re: Scientist says neutron stars, not black holes, at center of galaxies Forwarded
From: Jonathan Silverlight
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:14:09 +0000
Newsgroups: sci.astro, sci.physics, sci.physics.relativity, sci.physics.particle, sci.chem
In message <X0tmf.611057$x96.172410@attbi_s72>, Sam Wormley <swormley1@xxxxxxxxx> writes
Happy Hippy wrote:

 The only question is
'Whence the spin?'
The answer:
The Universe is spinning.

 There is plenty of spinning going on *within* the universe, but the
 universe as a whole....

 Assuming the inflationary scenario is correct, one would expect any
 universal rotation to be extremely small.

 Some Papers involving "Rotation of the Universe"

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22rotation+of+the+universe%22+site%3AarX
iv.org

Andrew Yee's post is really stirring the nuts, but hasn't that been shown to be the case? I've quoted that passage by George Smoot in "Wrinkles in Time" about "one hundred-millionth of a rotation in the last billion years" in discussions on sci.astro, and someone else commented that's what you would expect from inflation. BTW, no-one seems to have commented on the claim in this very odd paper that the sun is a rigid structure. (Turnpike is telling me I shouldn't cross post to 5 newsgroups, but it does seem on topic)