Re: Can a black hole feed more than once?!

Subject: Re: Can a black hole feed more than once?!
From: Oxidized
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:48:51 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.astro.seti, sci.astro, sci.physics.relativity,
Ben Bradley wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:34:24 -0700, Erik Max Francis <max@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Rob Dekker wrote:

{ snip calculations }

So we should be (by definition) in a black hole...

Except we're not, because the Universe is expanding. The Universe appears open, and furthermore the expansion appears to be accelerating. Saying that "by definition" we're in a black hole only makes sense if you're making some useless semantic distinction, rather than talking about the actual physical properties of a black hole.

   Presuming for a moment that we ARE in a big black hole, why are we
not compressed into an infinitesimal point at its center?

The "gravastar" theory posits that black holes are in the shape
of a "bubble", and not a "point".

From the article:

In astrophysics, the Gravastar theory is a proposal by Emil Mottola and Pawel Mazur to replace the black hole. Instead of a star collapsing into a pinpoint of space with virtually infinite density, the gravastar theory proposes that as an object gravitationally collapses, space itself undergoes a phase transition preventing further collapse, being transformed into a spherical void surrounded by a form of super-dense matter.

According to the theorizers Emil Mottola and Pawel Mazur the universe itself could very well be the inside of a giant gravastar.