sci.astro.seti

Re: Weather (Was: OT: go nuclear. Was: Detecting ETI via CO2)

Subject: Re: Weather Was: OT: go nuclear. Was: Detecting ETI via CO2
From: Matt Giwer
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:53:21 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.seti
Martin 53N 1W wrote:
Matt Giwer wrote:

Martin 53N 1W wrote:

[...]

Engineering.

    Engineering is not science. How come the choice of letters?

There's a lot more to engineering than just shovelling sand and cement and hoping that the reinforcement bars won't corrode too quickly... ;)

There's also a lot more to engineering than just sand and cement ;) ;)

As the DOD decided to classify this lowly physicist as an EE and as I spent my two decades working with engineers, mostly EEs, I am quite familiar with engineers.

[...]

OK, try this one (real world):

What happens (is happening) to the air just below a nice fluffy (non-raining) cloud at about 9000' as might be seen early in a Florida afternoon?

Happening in what sense? It is not warming as much for being shaded as the sunlight is reflected back into space.

Yes. That is part of the story. And also, an isolated cloud will absorb a percentage of the solar radiation.

However, there are much more significant factors.

The air under the cloud is rising.

The air alongside the cloud and further out for a short distance is falling. The base of the cloud is at the dew point for the air there (hence why the base is so flat).

How does the air temperature change with height from the ground to up through the cloud centre?

        You have not given enough information to answer the question. Of course
you know that.

How is this different from the temperature profile for a vertical line from the ground to up past slightly away from the cloud?

        Again, insufficient information.

There are so many of those clouds Florida is not considered practical for any form of solar power generation.

I wonder why there are so many clouds there...

I presume you wonder, Why is there air? To fill up volleyballs of course. What is your point? The only issue here is human caused change v. natural change and you have not suggested any change at all.

    And are you claiming whatever your concern has gotten worse?

Yes, it has. It is visible now. I've been there for the equivalent in the UK.

        If that is your claim then produce the evidence and demonstrate it is
solely from human causation.

(And no nearby hills or coastline or other clouds to disturb it.)

    Just what are you getting at? And why were you talking about steam?

You should be able to get a handle on this from the above two questions.

        You obviously do not understand you have not presented enough
information to even ask a question.

Also note that normally, steam cannot be seen with human eyes. Ofcourse, we can all see /condensed/ steam from a boiling kettle for example.

Dear dumbshit,

        Water vapor is not steam.

                        Sincerely,

                        The Iron Webmaster

--
We know Johnson lied about Vietnam. Why is it so hard for
people to admit Bush lied about Iraq? Party loyalty?