sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe

Re: Peculiar sighting

Subject: Re: Peculiar sighting
From: "Steve Vernon"
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:04:45 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
"Skywise" <into@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:11ohgqn2kd3nnc4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sid Snot <sidneysnot1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:1aZhf.4510$ea6.1567@news-
> server.bigpond.net.au:
>
> > Appx 1250hrs GMT I saw a reasonably bright object which looked just like
> > a satellite traversing the sky from the south west to northeast. It was
> > just a single point of light and there were no navigation lights to
> > indicate it was an aircraft. It was at an elevation of about 60 degrees
> > when I saw it.
> >
> > Because I live at Adelaide, South Australia, the object was well outside
> > the satellite visibility window, the earth's shadow having well taken
> > over. Local time being 11.20pm.
> >
> > I went to get hold of some binoculars which only took a few seconds, but
> > when I looked again there was no sign of it.
> >
> > I can't discount the fact that what I may have seen was some sort of
> > rocket burn, possibly to facilitate a manoeuvre.
> >
> > Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > Sid.
>

> Just because of where you live and the time does not mean you
> can't see a satellite. There are satellites that fly high enough
> to stay in sunlight.
>
> Possibly the satellite had entered shadow when you went to get
> your binocs.
>
> Also, sometimes it's difficult to see the navigation lights on
> aircraft naked eye. I've been tricked by that before myself.
> Once I get binocs on the object it's obvious it's an airplane.
>
> Perhaps someone else lurking might be able to ID your object,
> given your location, time and object description.

Would Lacrosse 5 "flare" like an Iridium?

http://heavens-above.com/PassDetails.asp?Size=600&SatID=28646&lat=-34.933&lng=138.600&alt=72&loc=Adelaide&TZ=ACST&Date=38682.5367027333

Heavens-above says mag 3.0 which could match "reasonably bright"
SW to NE is right. Disappears at 23:22 pm local which is right.

http://heavens-above.com is your satellite pass friend.

Steve Vernon