sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe

Re: Peculiar sighting

Subject: Re: Peculiar sighting
From: Skywise
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:19:35 -0000
Newsgroups: sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Sid Snot <sidneysnot1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in news:1aZhf.4510$ea6.1567@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> Appx 1250hrs GMT I saw a reasonably bright object which looked just like
> a satellite traversing the sky from the south west to northeast. It was
> just a single point of light and there were no navigation lights to
> indicate it was an aircraft. It was at an elevation of about 60 degrees
> when I saw it.
>
> Because I live at Adelaide, South Australia, the object was well outside
> the satellite visibility window, the earth's shadow having well taken
> over. Local time being 11.20pm.
>
> I went to get hold of some binoculars which only took a few seconds, but
> when I looked again there was no sign of it.
>
> I can't discount the fact that what I may have seen was some sort of
> rocket burn, possibly to facilitate a manoeuvre.
>
> Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
>
> Sid.

Just because of where you live and the time does not mean you
can't see a satellite. There are satellites that fly high enough
to stay in sunlight.

Possibly the satellite had entered shadow when you went to get
your binocs.

Also, sometimes it's difficult to see the navigation lights on
aircraft naked eye. I've been tricked by that before myself.
Once I get binocs on the object it's obvious it's an airplane.

Perhaps someone else lurking might be able to ID your object,
given your location, time and object description.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Like censorship and not getting support help? Switch to Supernews!