sci.astro.amateur

Re: Orion XT8 Intelliscope

Subject: Re: Orion XT8 Intelliscope
From: Chris L Peterson
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:56:02 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:27:25 -0600, "Larry G."
<larryg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>That being said, I fear one of the consequences of such
>accessibility and a more modest learning curve is that
>we dilute the enthusiasm of everyone in the field when
>a fervent desire to learn and explore, is replaced by
>an influx of people with little more than idle curiosity
>and very misguided expectations.  Such would tend to have
>a distracting influence, if not demoralizing, for the rest
>of us.

That's a valid concern, but I haven't seen any sign of it. Newbies who
are just testing the waters don't seem to stay around long enough to
dilute any enthusiasm. And the ones who get hooked are extra
enthusiastic.

Maybe this is an issue at the handful of really large clubs in the
country, but that's hardly typical. There are hundreds or thousands of
clubs around the country with 20 or 30 members. I can't believe that
newbies are flooding into any of these fast enough to dilute anybody's
enthusiasm! I know that our club, Colorado Springs Astronomical Society,
would love to have more newbies show up at our meetings. We usually only
see a couple of new faces each month, and probably half only come to a
few meetings. Anybody who hangs with us for a while will have a broad
opportunity to explore amateur astronomy, with all sorts of equipment
from the simplest homemade to the highest end semi-pro. I would hope
that's true for most clubs.

Outside of your local club, what newbies do in some other venue can't
possibly have much affect on you. So all the people who are buying goto
scopes without getting any advice first, trying them a few times and
then dropping out of the hobby (to the extent they were ever a part of
it) aren't causing any harm to the rest of us. If anything, they help
subsidize us by supporting the commercial side of things.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com