sci.astro.amateur

Re: Green laser pointer

Subject: Re: Green laser pointer
From: Chris L Peterson
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 05:54:41 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:25:59 -0800, "Starlord"
<starlord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have wondered about using one of those sometimes. There have been times
>I've tried to point out where a star would be while I've been set up at the
>corner. I found a red laser in a trailer I cleaned out, but it gets lost in
>the light around the street coner and I've wondered if a green one would
>shine threw the light of the area. The Rosamond airport closes at dark so
>nothing at low levels going overhead.

A GLP would be very visible in your location. There are plenty of
particulates in the air, and the laser scatters strongly back towards
the source. Even a lower power inexpensive GLP should be quite visible
to you and anyone standing around you, despite the light pollution.

I've found these lasers to be of tremendous benefit when teaching; many
people simply are unable to figure out what you are pointing at when you
just use your hand (although they will often claim otherwise). Of
course, I'm in a dark site, where people can't easily see my hand, and
where there are a lot of stars. Maybe where you are, so few stars are
visible that there isn't much doubt just where you are pointing?

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com