sci.astro.amateur

Re: Request for early obs of Leoniods

Subject: Re: Request for early obs of Leoniods
From: Pat O'Connell
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 09:52:42 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Marty wrote:
I ran out for a little while around 1:00am here in west-central Iowa,
USA, and saw zilch.  The night was fairly clear though, so a good excuse
to get out under the stars and enjoy the constellations. :)
                     Marty

Rio Grande Astronomical Society had their star party near San Ysidro NM. There were around six scopes set up, including my little NexStar 114 GT and several much larger scopes. We saw about half a dozen meteors, some spectacular, though none of them came from the general direction of Leo, so they probably weren't Leonids.

Lots of other pretties were seen, however. The site's dark enough to see the Milky Way, and we saw the Andromeda Nebula, the Orion Nebula, Uranus, Neptune, the Dumbbell Nebula, and the Ring Nebula. We ended the party around 10 PM.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]