sci.astro.amateur

Re: WARNING: Geomagnetic K-index of 5 expected

Subject: Re: WARNING: Geomagnetic K-index of 5 expected
From: Chris L Peterson
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:38:06 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
On 30 Nov 2006 03:29:29 -0800, thad@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>So, what are we supposed to do regarding these warnings?

To ground-based observers, they are simply a heads-up that we might see
auroras.

>Line our underwear with aluminum foil and clamp a 12-gauge
>battery cable between our gonads and earth ground?

You should be doing that all the time.

>If these "K-indices" aren't going to harm us, why the alert?

They are a true warning to operators of space-based equipment, and
certain sensitive equipment on the ground. Active precautions (beyond
metal underwear) must be taken to avoid damage. Satellites may be
repositioned or even shut down temporarily, for example.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com