sci.astro.amateur

Re: Smoking on the grounds of a public star party

Subject: Re: Smoking on the grounds of a public star party
From: "Dennis Woos"
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:08:57 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
"Dave Jessie" <DJesSHOESsie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:456d13a5$0$6953$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> OK, I admit I haven't been to any of the major observing events that take
> place annually around the country, or else I'd already know the answer to
> this question.  Perhaps some will remember a similar question I posed a
> couple years ago about this matter.  Anyhow, here goes...
>
> What's the rules regarding smoking on the grounds where folks have set up
> equipment?  Our 57 year old astronomy club is, once again, arguing about
> this - well, some members are.
>
> We FINALLY posted 'No Smoking' signs in our observatory after much heated
> debate - and lost some members over it.  The rest of us are relieved to be
> out of the smoke, I assure you.
>
> Is it the general rule that there's NO SMOKING anywhere on the grounds of
> an observing event??
>
> Clear Dark Steady Skies,
> Dave Jessie

You know, I never noticed before but our club doesn't have any members that
smoke while observing, or at least that I have ever seen.  Smoking is
definitely something that has died out, at least among folks that I know.
It must be brutal to be a smoker, as second-hand smoke and smoke odor is
simply unacceptable to a lot of people - especially ex-smokers.

Dennis