sci.astro.amateur

Beyond Rosamond Report

Subject: Beyond Rosamond Report
From: "Starlord"
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 21:33:32 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
All of this will not be in the rosamond report, just a slight hint, but
tonight was a major event for me kind of. No not from the foster freeze,
that I only wish it could have been! No it was Bible thumpers and one of
them I would almost bet was/is related to our so loved DJM!!!

The first one of 3 was by himself and was the first one to say that he
didn't belive that this earth was not over 6,000 years old and that no star
was over 1,000 light years away. It was getting cold so he didn't stay.

A short while later 2 familys came over, I was set up on the moon and the
kids loved seeing it so close (I had my telvue 17mm in the EP slot) and I
gave them a copy of my astro news sheet. That's when one of the dad's took
his turn and looked at the moon and then he asked if I knew who made the
moon,(oh no I was thinking) and I said that it was close to something like
3.5 billion years old or more and the top running deal now shows it was made
after the earth was hit when still young. You can figure what he said
ofcourse, but I played it cool and just let him talk and then I'd point out
the facts as we know them now. At last he could see I wasn't going to change
my ideas and he gave up. The other dad came back over and got one of my
astro sheets and took a look at the moon and handed me a $10 bill and said
"You did better than most other people do, good job". Oh ya, that first dad
also said the earth was not older than 10,000 years, I looked at him then
and said "Well if that's so, then I'm not standing next to a telescope who's
metal was taken brom rock ore that was at lest a billion years old. That had
stopped that thread of talk.

After they left I had about 30 mins of rest then the local DJM stopped! And
the rest of the time was pure hell.  He had an answer for everything, the
earth was only 5,000 years old, the great flood of the old bible had been
what killed the Dino's and that man had lived amoung them. That the old foak
tales of Dagons was just tales of the Dino's.  Then he said that the way
they told how far away the stars where was false and had big mistakes in it
and that the millions of light years given was false. He then said that as
he lived nearby on the west side of town, he'd bring me some vcr tapes that
would prove his points (I only hope he never shows up!). By the time he left
at last, the moon was going behind local trees, so I packed up and came home
after getting 2 gals of gas. Going to sit down after taking some asprin,
with a big cup of hot coffee and I'm going to watch a Babylon 5 tape to ease
my poor mind.

This was a night I'd like to have skipped.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info