sci.astro.amateur

Re: galileo galilei - dates to confirm

Subject: Re: galileo galilei - dates to confirm
From: <Thierry>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:07:20 +0200
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
"OG" <owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4mm73sF6pfq4U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> <Thierry> wrote in message news:4505e10c$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Hello,
>>
>> A question about historical truth.
>> It is said that Galileo discovered the phases of Venus phases in 1610.
>> OK.
>> It is also said that he invented his scope only in 1610
>> Two dates to be confirmed, and if possible in the month close...
>
> Looks like the dates may be in error
> Wikipedia
> "Based only on sketchy descriptions of the telescope, invented in the
> Netherlands in 1608, Galileo made one with about 8x magnification, and
> then made improved models up to about 20x. On August 25, 1609, he
> demonstrated his first telescope to Venetian lawmakers."

Right. My mistake. I reread , my notes (I always wonder of the number of
information i found on my own site and that I have forgotten, of almost).
Hopefully there is a search engine....
Galileo seems have demonstrated his scope already on August 21. Its
magnification was 3x.
Remain to confirm the first observation of venus and with what scope

Thierry