Re: galileo galilei - dates to confirm

Subject: Re: galileo galilei - dates to confirm
From: Brian Tung
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:17:52 -0700 PDT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
robert casey wrote:
> Also heard that the scope Galileo had was a real POS, and he would have
> loved to have gotten his hands on one of our Christmas gift trash scopes
> from WalMart.  Even though those are POS's, they'd better his POS...

As I understand it, it wasn't the execution so much as the design.  It
had inherent aberrations, but the scopes he produced performed about as
well as a modern example of the same design would.  There was a recent
article in Sky and Telescope or Night Sky about this.

Brian Tung <brian@xxxxxxx>
The Astronomy Corner at
  Unofficial C5+  Home Page at
  The PleiadAtlas Home Page at