sci.astro.amateur

Re: general relativity for the faint of heart

Subject: Re: general relativity for the faint of heart
From: "oriel36"
Date: 13 May 2006 10:56:34 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Bill Tschumy wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2006 18:30:58 -0500, Brian Tung wrote
> (in article <e435ri$lr5$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>):
>
> > I've revised this article, which I first posted a couple of years ago.
> > Hopefully, it's a bit easier to follow.  For those of you who already
> > understand GR, I'd also be interested in having you read it, so you can
> > point out any inaccuracies or misconceptions.  Thanks!
> >
> >     http://astro.isi.edu/notes/gr.pdf
> >
> > It's about 68 kB.
> >

> Brian,
>
> Thanks for writing this up.  While reading it I had a one or two "Ah ha"
> experiences.  Another veil has been removed from my misunderstanding of
> general relativity.  Plenty more remain, but I'll get there eventually.
>
> --
> Bill Tschumy
> Think Astronomy -- Austin, TX
> http://www.thinkastronomy.com

There is a chance that a real astronomer will experience a true
intuitive  insight such as Copernican reasoning.

The first image is the usual one taken at a distance from Earth using
the background stars -

http://www.glyphweb.com/esky/_images/diagrams/retrograde.gif

The second images are actual observed motions seen from Earth  and it
is easy to see the Earth overtaking the slower forward moving Jupiter
and Saturn in our and their common heliocentric motion

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0112/JuSa2000_tezel.gif

The Newtonian mutation of Copernican heliocentricity  is not based on
observations seen from a  moving Earth even though the working
principles for Kepler and Copernicus were based on observations and
modelling from a moving Earth.

A real astronomer will enjoy the observed heliocentric motions seen
from a moving Earth,a Newtonian disciple will not.